|Newsletter of the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications (IIT) of NCSR Demokritos
|Issue 12 | January 2015Past issues
An EU-funded flagship Demonstration Project on Maritime Security, PERSEUS has concluded successfully the two big Exercises of the Eastern Campaign last October during the VIP event organized by IIT and co-hosted by the Hellenic Coast Guard and the Hellenic Minister of Defense, key partners of the two exercises.
Robots are coming into the mainstream and their presence has begun to bridge the digital-physical divide, dramatically impacting human life, experts say. Upon this trend, IIT's robotics activities are also gaining ground. Some of our robots, from Roboskel and ISL, were recently demonstrated at NCSR "Demokritos" Researcher's Night and the Eugenides Foundation’s Robotics Event, attracting great public attention.
Also worth mentioning are IIT's educational activities during the last quarter of 2014: a new Research Collaboration with the University of Texas at Dallas (US) was established, our free seminars on "Special Education" had very high attendance, 4 new PhD scholarships were announced, and our lecture series continues being a platform for exchanging ideas and establishing collaborations.
The EU-funded HiPOW project's final workshop on intentional electromagnetic interference and protection measures, organized by ISL and held at IIT, received a lot of attention and attracted scientist, industry and end users from across EU.
IIT keeps on expanding with new funded projects and more than 40 job openings. Our researchers continue their dissemination and exploitation efforts presenting their work in numerous international and national conferences, workshops and other events.
I wish you a creative and prosperous New Year and best wishes for 2015!
Stelios Thomopoulos, IIT Director
Public R&D dissemination
15 December: the return of the robots
The Eugenides Foundation and its Interactive Science and Technology Exhibition organized a one week event series devoted to robotics. In the main event titled "The return of the robots", on 15/12, the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications participated with the educational robot ActivityBot, demonstrated by the Integrated Systems Laboratory (ISL), and the robot Sek demonstrated by Roboskel (Robotics activity group).
25 November: NOMAD successfully completed the second round of pilots
a) The 2nd
round of the UK, Greek & Austrian pilot workshops of the EC NOMAD project was concluded successfully. Two workshops took place in Athens & one in Vienna. Read more
b) Both the Athenian workshops were well covered by Greek online media. Read more
9-14 November: MNL presented a platform for NFaaS
MediaNet Lab (MNL) made a presentation titled "T-NOVA: Developing a platform for NFaaS" during the 91st IETF Meeting in Hawaii, USA. The presentation summarises on the current status and objectives of T-NOVA EU funded project focusing on building a platform facilitating the provision of Network Functions as a Service (NFaaS).
11 November: NewSum app presented at Innovathens
The awarded app NewSum was presented at InnovAthens, at Technopolis. NewSum, based on technologies developed at the Software and Knowledge Engineering Laboratory (SKEL), is further developed and distributed with the support of SciFY.
5 November: ISL hosted the HIPOW Workshop
The workshop brought together a broad range of government and private organizations, and presented to them the available results and conclusions stemming from the HIPOW project.
Two big PERSEUS Exercises for the Eastern Campaign Successfully Concluded
PERSEUS project has concluded successfully the two big Exercises of the Eastern Campaign last October during the VIP event organized by IIT and co-hosted by the Hellenic Coast Guard and the Hellenic Minister of Defense, key partners of the two exercises.
- 5 December: the AMINESS project was presented by CIL and SKEL at a Maritime Industry workshop entitled "EU Research projects in progress for Maritime Industry" at Danaos Auditorium. Read more
- 4 December: Invited speech by Dr. Nikos Dimitriou from NeL at Workshop about the new National Strategic Reference Framework (ESPA 2014-20) for Local Administration Organizations (OTA). Read more
- 27-28 November: the OCULUS Sea platfrom was demonstrated by ISL within the BSSR European Symposium. Read more
- New Knowledge Management Portal on falls prevention for the elderly. Read more
Publications: Books, Journal articles, Conference papers
Projects' Newsletters: Want to stay in touch with our R&D projects' activities?
List of IIT FP7 projects (in pdf)
13-14 November: PACT PRISMS SURPRISE Joint International Conference
An international conference was arranged jointly by the EU research projects PACT, SUPRISE and PRISMS, in Vienna. The Integrated Systems Laboratory (ISL) of IIT presented and demonstrated the PACT Decision Support tool (DSS) for Privacy, Ethics and Social Impact Assessment of Surveillance Technology Investments.
26 September: successful participation of IIT in Researcher's Night 2014
IIT participated with a variety of exhibits, demonstrations and games. Our research teams presented Institute's cutting-edge technologies, attracting very strong interest and numerous questions mainly from children aged 8 to 18. The overall attendance of the public to the event surpassed, this year again, the organizers' expectations.
BioASQ Challenge gaining momentum
The 2nd BioASQ challenge concluded with great success, rewarding the winning teams during the 2nd BioASQ Workshop on September 16. The 2nd BioASQ Challenge continued the impressive achievements of the first one, pushing the research frontiers in biomedical indexing and question answering.
IIT participated in numerous Conferences, Workshops and Events
During the last quarter of 2014 researchers from IIT participated in numerous conferences and workshops, like CAMAD 2014, CELDA 2014, CLEF 2014, CRITIS 2014, ICMLA 2014, LAPC 2014, MobiHealth 2014, SPIE, 8th HellasGis, 10th International Congress of the Hellenic Geographical Society, etc. Conferences & Workshops IIT participated in
- 17-21 November: Dr. Olga Segou participated in the Cyber Coalition Exercise 2014 (CC14) as an Industry/Academia Observer in Tartu, Estonia. Read more
- 7 November: Dr Kothris participated in the "Internet of Things Platforms for Connected Smart Objects" in Brussels, Belgium. Read more
- 9-10 October: Dr Thomopoulos, Dr Spyropoulos and Dr Kyriazanos participated in the "2015 - ICT Proposers Days" in Florence, Italy. Read more
- 29 September: Dr Thomopoulos, Dr Karampiperis & Mr Koukourikos participated in the "Info Day on Technologies for Creative Industries, Social Media and Convergence" in Brussels, Belgium. Read more
20-21 September: high attendance at the Net Media Lab seminars on "Special Education"
With great success concluded the free seminar series organized by Telecoms Lab - Net Media Lab of IIT entitled "Introduction to Tools Assessment and Intervention Programs for Students with Special Educational Needs", which was held in 4 sessions on the weekend of September 20-21, in the Main Auditorium of the NCSR "Demokritos".
Agreement of cooperation between NCSR "Demokritos" and the University of Texas at Dallas, USA
The Department of Computer Science at the University of Texas at Dallas (UT) and NCSR "Demokritos" enter into an agreement of cooperation to establish a program of exchange and collaboration, in the context of which, a PhD fellowship program was formed leading to the award of a PhD degree in the name of the University of Texas at Dallas, in the area of Computer Science.
Lecture series at IIT
- The IIT Seminar series gives the opportunity to postgraduate students, to new or existing members of the Institute's labs, to internal and external (invited) speakers to present their work and establish collaborations. List of upcoming and past seminars
PhD theses completed
, congratulations to:
- Olga Segou, "Location-Based Services in indoor environments", Oct. 2014, read more
- Anastasios Skarlatidis, "Event Recognition Under Uncertainty and Incomplete Data", Oct. 2014, read more
- Martin Zamkotsian, "Hierarchical Modulation and Spatial Modulation Schemes under Generalized Fading Propagation Environments", Oct. 2014, read more
42 job openings and 4 PhD scholarships by IIT
IIT keeps on expanding: forty two (42) new job openings at IIT and four (4) new PhD scholarships were announced between September and December 2014.
- 12-13 December: EETN elections. IIT hosted in it's premises the Auditing Committee's meeting and the elections of the Hellenic Artificial Intelligence Society (EETN) for the nomination of its representatives. Read more
- A new distinction for the work of Net Media Lab by inclusion in Governmental policies. Read more
To ensure proper delivery, please add email@example.com to your address book. You receive this e-mail because you have expressed interest for news and events related to IIT.