|Newsletter of the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications (IIT) of NCSR Demokritos
|Issue 17 | September 2016Past issues
a summer plenty of scientific activities and proposal writing has ended. Our Institute took part in the 51st Summer School of NCSR "Demokritos", we organised with great success the European School of Antennas 2016, two workshops on Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things, and five more workshops in the context of the 4th Hellenic Forum on Science Technology and Innovation, attended by important stakeholders, both government representatives and industry professionals. Additionally, the SmartCamp was organised, for the 3rd consecutive year, a summer workshop for high school students age 13-18 year old, focusing on Digital Arts, Computer Animation & Robotics. We co-organised the 4th BioASQ workshop and our researchers participated in numerous important scientific events, conferences, forums and workshops.
And there is more! A significant cooperation agreement was signed with IBM Hellas, through which our Institute will provide advanced computational text analysis services for the Greek language.
And we are happy to announce that the much awaited Roboskel "Smart Room" dedicated to advanced IT research experiments has been completed with the help of IKEA and Kotsovolos, and is already being used by our research teams. The opening ceremony will take place early October so stay tuned for updates and photos.
In the area of new research activities, ISL has three new projects funded by the European Commission in the areas of serious games for children with ADS, marine surveillance, and data exchange across EU member-states maritime authorities.
As we step in September we are getting ready to participate in the 81st Thessaloniki International Fair and organise a workshop on Social Media Verification in Athens.
Finally, don't miss out the biggest pan-European event dedicated to popular science and fun learning, the Researcher's Night, on September 28 (for school visits only) and on September 30 (for the general public), this year to be held again at the NCSR Demokritos campus. We welcome you all! It will be a great opportunity for us to meet you with your children and friends, and will be happy to answer any questions you may have. See you there in less than two weeks!
Stelios C. A. Thomopoulos, IIT Director
Public R&D dissemination
The Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications (IIT) invites you to meet the heroes of science; that is to say, the researchers from different disciplines whose fascinating work can change our lives. The Researchers' Night is a mega event which takes place every year simultaneously in over 250 cities across Europe and neighbouring countries. A pre-event for schools is scheduled for 28/09.
Significant cooperation between IBM and NCSR Demokritos
A significant cooperation was launched between IBM Hellas and the National Centre for Scientific Research (NCSR) Demokritos. SKEL Lab of IIT will provide advanced computational text analysis services for the Greek language.
Read our press release in Greek
. More about the cooperation in this article by tech.in.gr
The Roboskel Smart Room is ready!
With the contribution of the European project RADIO (SKEL/IIT), IKEA Greece and KOTSOVOLOS, Roboskel's Smart Room, a high-tech IT research activities area, was set up in the premises of NCSR Demokritos. The official opening of the installation is planned for early October 2016.
What if you knew a traffic jam was about to happen?
Read this very interesting article
from the IBM Research website on SPEEDD project's forecasting capabilities. The SPEEDD (Scalable Proactive Event-Driven Decision-making) project (SKEL/IIT) is based on complex event processing technology that recognizes when a combination of certain events is significant.
2 June: Successful Forest Fire Fighting trial from ISL
The exercise "Pre - Final Real Fire Fighting trial in Greece" under the project "AF3 - Advanced Forest Fire Fighting" of the ISL Lab was successfully completed. The exercise took place at the premises of the Naval Base in Scaramanga with absolute completeness in terms of both project partners and honorary guests.
Publications: Books, Journal articles, Conference papers
Upcoming! 10-18 Sept.: NCSR Demokritos supports MdM-Greece
NCSR "Demokritos" will technologically support Doctors of the World / Médecins du Monde – Greece (MdM-Greece) during the 81st Thessaloniki International Fair - booth of the Public Power Cooperation (PPC, "ΔΕΗ" in Greek). Read more
Upcoming! 16 Sept.: Social Media Verification Workshop
The REVEAL project (SKEL Lab) is hosting a one day workshop in Athens, in which participants will raise and discuss various aspects of social media verification. This includes showcasing how technology can aid in the process. The event is free of charge, but requires prior registration. Don't miss out! Read more
Successful organisation of two AI-IoT Workshops
Dr. C. Spyropoulos from SKEL Lab chaired two workshops on Artificial Intelligence and Internet of Things (AI-IoT), both organised by IIT. The first workshop was held on 18 May
, during SETN 2016, while the second on 30 August
, in conjunction with ECAI 2016. Read more
11-15 July: 4th Hellenic Forum for Science, Technology and Innovation
The "4th Hellenic Forum for Science Technology and Innovation" was successfully organised at NCSR "Demokritos" premises. IIT was represented with various ICT sessions having high participation. The ICT agenda is available here
13 July: Boosting the Digital Health Workshop
The workshop "Boosting the Digital Health, Wellness and Silver Economy - Opportunities for SMEs in Greece" was organized with success by the Greek Ecosystem as a member of the ECHALLIANCE International Network of Ecosystems at the premises of NCSR Demokritos.
11-12 July: How IT can help the Ageing Population?
Both the workshops "Information Technology & adherence in ageing population with chronic diseases & polypharmacy" and "European Innovation Partnership on Active Healthy Ageing", chaired by Dr. H. Papadopoulos, attracted the interest of numerous health professionals and insurers, industrial and government representatives.
11 July: Your Data Stories Workshop & Panel Discussion on Open Data
High attendance at the workshop "Your Data Stories Project: Finding, Analysing & Visualising Open Data" organised by SKEL Lab. The panel discussion that followed consisted of representatives from Greek Ministries, the Industry and Opean Data organisations.
27 June-8 July: SMARTcamp - Summer Science Workshop for students
Knowledge, Creativity, Digital Arts & Informatics! For another year in a row, the Integrated Systems Laboratory (ISL) of IIT organised with great success the SMARTcamp summer workshop, at the NCSR "Demokritos" premises.
20-24 June: European School of Antennas
The Wireless Communications Laboratory (WiCom) of IIT, in collaboration with the Loughborough University, organised with great success the European School of Antennas 2016 (titled: "Advanced Materials for Antennas"), at the premises of NCSR Demokritos.
17-19 June: IIT talk on Future Technologies
Dr. H. Papadopoulos from IIT presented how Web 2.0 technologies and IoT are generating Big Data and are transforming the way we communicate with others, influencing Health Systems, Medical Records and telemedicine services in two scientific events in Nanjing, China.
IIT participated in numerous Scientific Events
Between May & August 2016 researchers from IIT participated in Conferences
like ACL2016, ESWC2016, IJCAI-16, IoT week, 4th Hellenic Forum for Science, Technology & Innovation, LREC2016, PETRA2016, SETN2016, etc. & Workshops
like Digital Finance Forum 2016, European Data Forum 2016, MedIR(SIGIR2016), SEMIC2016.
- 30 August: Dr. A. Artikis from SKEL organised a half-day tutorial on Complex Event Recognition, during the ECAI 2016, in the Hague, the Netherlands. Read more
- 26 August: Dr. H. Papadopoulos from IIT presented the Startupbootcamp Digital Health Berlin, in the Found.ation, Athens, Greece. Read more
- 21-26 August: Dr. A. Artikis from SKEL participated in the Dagstuhl Seminar on "Integrating Process-Oriented and Event-Based Systems", which took place in Wadern, Germany. Read more
- 13 August: BioASQ project (SKEL/IIT) and BioNLP-ST held joint workshop at ACL 2016 in Berlin, Germany. Read more
- Project "Your Data Stories" of SKEL Lab was presented in two events: in a workshop organised by the Institute of Historical Research of the National Hellenic Research Institute at Syros island between 8 and 10 August, and during a seminar organised by the VISEO company in Grenoble, France on 16 June.
- 9 July: Agent DemokriTAC of SKEL won the AdX game during the Trading Agent Competition 2016, at the 25th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence IJCAI-16. Read more
- 8-10 June: IIT was represented by Dr. H. Papadopoulos (ReAAL project Scientific Representative) in the International Exhibition "eHealth Week 2016", in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. Read more
- 31 May-2 June: Dr. C. Spyropoulos from SKEL/IIT participated in the "IoT Week 2016", which took place in Belgrade, Serbia. Read more
Upcoming! 24-25 Sept.: "Special Education" Seminar Series
Net Media Lab announces a new round of seminars for the academic year 2016-2017 entitled "New Technologies & Modern Approaches in Special Education - Evaluation Tools and Intervention Programs". The seminars will kick-off with a free seminar, that will take place over the weekend of 24-25/09.
| Announcement [pdf]
iGuide KNOSSOS: An immersive Virtual Reality Guide for the Archaeological site of KNOSSOS
The Integrated Systems Laboratory (ISL) of IIT, has submitted a 3D Digital Guide named iGuide KNOSSOS on the STEAM platform and is asking for audience support (positive vote here
) in order to be Greenlit.
4-15 July: students meet SKEL Research Groups
Researchers from both the CRU and the Roboskel Group of the Software and Knowledhe Engineering Lab (SKEL) of IIT, organised presentation sessions and workshops during the 51st Summer School of NCSR Demokritos.
Are you a teacher willing to show your students real Robots?
The successful pioneer Educational Program on Robotics and Autonomous Systems organised by SKEL Lab of IIT, will run for the 2nd year in a row. Registration opens soon with time slots available for primary school groups every Tuesday from October 2016 until May 2017.
Lecture series at IIT
The IIT Seminar series gives the opportunity to postgraduate students, to new or existing members of the Institute's labs, to internal and external (invited) speakers to present their work and establish collaborations. List of upcoming and past seminars
- 2016-2017: a new postgraduate studies program is planned to run this year by "Demokritus University of Thrace" in collaboration with NCSR "Demokritos". Read more
- 4 July: Prof. T. Skaltsas from the University of Edinburgh, UK, gave a speech on the opening day of the 51st Summer School of NCSR "Demokritos" with the title "Digital Ideas and Values". Read more
- Best Thesis Awards for 2014-2015. Candidate PhD theses were submitted by 6 July, for the selection of the best two theses being completed in 2014 and 2015. The awards are supported by NCSR Demokritos and have been established in memory of graduate students Anastasia and Andreas Dimozi. Each award is accompanied by a prize of 1000 euro. Read more
- Internships completed by: Kontogiannopoulos Nikos, Christianidi Maria, Maistrou Maria, Diamantidou Eleni, Chatzinikolaidis Iordanis, Paliouras Konstantinos & Mallios Dimitrios Read more
14 job openings at IIT!
IIT keeps on expanding: fourteen (14) new job openings were announced by IIT between May and August 2016.
Complete list of job openings
- 27 July: VimaFM Radio 99.5 hosted an interview of Dr. M. Vafopoulos from SKEL Lab, on the recent acquisition of "Yahoo" from "Verizon". Read more
To ensure proper delivery, please add email@example.com to your address book. You receive this e-mail because you have expressed interest for news and events related to IIT.