|Newsletter of the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications (IIT) of NCSR Demokritos
|Issue 7 | May 2013Past issues
Dear Friends and Followers,
The current newsletter presents the latest activities and achievements of IIT during the first four months of 2013. These are really amazing and it's worth mentioning the 4 open source systems announced recently, the forming of the Roboskel Group and its operation platforms, the International research-centered summer school that will be organized within the Institute in July. Furthermore, it should be noted the start of 3 new projects that will explore the Institute's technology towards environmental safe shipping, radiological emergencies and recognition of hand-written documents.
Costas Spyropoulos, IIT Director
RoboSKEL: Robotic software and knowledge elucidation
A testing and dissemination platform for a variety of technologies: adaptive dialogue management, pattern recognition from range data, speaker diarization.
08-12 April: WiCom at EuCAP 2013
Wireless Communications (WiCom) Laboratory presented two papers in the 7th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2013), held on 8-12 April in Gothenburg, Sweden.
24-30 March: SKEL paricipates in CICLing 2013
The Software and Knowledge Engineering Laboratory (SKEL) participated in the 14th International Conference on Intelligent Text Processing and Computational Linguistics (CICLing) which was held in Samos, Greece.
Visit the conference website
NewSum successful beta testing
NewSum is an application for cell phones which run the Android operating system. It searches for the latest news in selected news sources, classifies texts which refer to the very same piece of information, and presents an overview of its main points. After a successful beta testing period, version 1.0 of NewSum software is being prepared. NewSum is developed and distributed with the support of SciFy.
CC4ims: a Portable Call Center for IMS
A new Opensource project has been released: the "CC4ims" - A Portable Call Center for IMS. CC4ims is an IMS compatible Call Center that can be installed on Android OS and provide a portable Call Center with functionality as: Call Management, Text Messaging, File Transfer and Presence information with Map Display. The Project has been released in Google Code with a GNU GPL v3 licence, while its development was supported by the EU-funded FP7 GERYON project.
Software development of 'Event Calculus for Run-Time reasoning' (RTEC)
RTEC is an open-source technology that supports Big Data processing in real-time. RTEC has been used in the context of the PRONTO project for processing data coming from sensors mounted on buses and trams with the aim of supporting resource management in public transportation. RTEC has also been used in the context of the USEFIL project for recognising various types of elderly behaviour living in 'smart homes'.
- SNMP for Active Measurements (SAM) Framework
The Media Networks Laboratory (MNL) designed and created a SNMP for Active Measurements Framework called SAM: a Network Monitoring Framework playing an important role not only in network monitoring, but also in assessing the current network status and providing realtime information for the optimizaion of the applications and services. Read more
- January 2013: new industrial contract signed with Globo Technologies, Greece
The Computational Intelligence Laboratory (CIL) signed a contract with Globo Technologies for supporting document image analyisis processes (binarization, image enhancement, page curl correction etc.)
Public R&D dissemination
CPS Medium: A Novel Human Centric CPS to Improve Motor/Cognitive Assessment and Enable Adaptive Rehabilitation
CPS project was presented, in a whole page tribute, by the Greek Journal Kathimerini.
- Gov.insight at Naftemporiki, Kerdos and other sites
An article on gov.insight, IIT's text analytics service for public consultations, published at Naftemporiki's printed edition and at www.kerdos.gr. The gov.insight application was also presented by several other sites. Read more
More in Research
29 January: participation in the Advisory Board of the COPRA Project
Dr SCA Thomopoulos and Dr Dimitris Kyriazanos, have been invited in Brussels as expert/member of the COPRA (Comprehensive European Approach to the Protection of Civil Aviation) Advisory Board.
- 1st March: Best poster award
A. Papangelis, F. Makedon, An Adaptive Dialogue System for Monitoring, Rehabilitation and Assistance, 7th Metroplex Day. Read more
- Organisation of TAC 2013. Dr Ioannis Vetsikas from the Software and Knowledge Engineering Laboratory (SKEL) has been appointed as the general chair of the 14th annual Trading Agent Competition (TAC), which will be held in June and July of 2013. Read more
Books, Journal articles, Conference papers
List of IIT FP7 projects (in pdf)
22 April: Launching of the 1st BioASQ challenge - Large-scale online biomedical semantic indexing
The first task of the BioASQ challenge (Task1a: Large-scale online biomedical semantic indexing) started on Monday 22th of April, 2013. To make the participation easier, the task has been divided into three consecutive periods (batches) of 6 weekly tests each. Separate winners will be announced for each batch. Participation in the task can be partial, i.e. in some of the batches and some of the weekly tests.
18-19 April: IIT in Cyber Security Forum
Dr SCA Thomopoulos, head of the Integrated Systems Laboratory (ISL), has been invited as a participant in Cyber Security Forum in Brussels. This independent two-day conference, comprised of a variety of presentations and panel discussions covering the key challenges and strategies available to effectively manage employee, citizen and corporate trust.
16 April: Enablers for multimodal travel planning and information services
Dr SCA Thomopoulos, head of the Integrated Systems Laboratory (ISL), has been invited, in Brussels, to participate in: "Enablers for multimodal travel planning and information services", a Workshop linked to the Action Plan on Intelligent Transport Systems.
27 March: SKEL co-organised the expert Workshop of the C2Learn Project
The Software and Knowledge Engineering Laboratory co-organised the expert workshop of the C2Learn Project which took place at Ellinogermaniki Agogi. The subject of the workshop was 'Computational Tools Fostering Co-Creativity in Learning Processes'. SKEL presented a semantic reasoning computational tools palette for hands-on development of educational scenarios.
15 March: Personalization Server Workshop #1
Introducing PServer to the community: The research, the tool, the benefits for all. Developed by the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications of NCSR "Demokritos", PServer is a general purpose infrastructure for adding personalization functionality to any site or application. It is also an extensible showcase of personalization methods.
22 February: co-organisation and hosting of the Workshop on "Open, Collaborative Governance"
The workshop was organized at NCSR Demokritos, within the research project NOMAD ("Policy Formulation and Validation through non-moderated Crowdsourcing"). Innovative and best practices were presented,as well as research approaches in the field of Open, Collaborative Governance.
8 February: "Social Networks in Public Administration"
Dr Kimon Kontovassilis, head of Networks Laboratory (NeL), delivered a talk on Social Networks technology, in the context of an open workshop about the role of Social Networks in Public Administration.
5 February: Safer Internet Day
Costas Spyropoulos, IIT director, was invited to participate at the open conference workshop organised by Saferinternet.gr, on the occasion of the 10 years celebration of the Safer Internet Day.
1) PhD theses completed
, congratulations to:
a) Thomas Konidaris, "Word Search in Historical Document Images", January 2013
b) Asimina Michalopoulou, "Multiple Antenna Wireless Systems for Body-centric Communications: Development, Performance Analysis and Modeling" February 2013
c) Konstantinos Ntirogiannis, "Document Image Binarization", April 2013
2) Successful presentation of PhD proposals
by UTA-NCSR PhD students, Georgios Galatas and Alexandros Papangelis.
3) Five students selected as PhD candidates
in the context of the joint PhD programs between IIT and foreign Universities. Read more
5 April-24 May: Seminars for PhD candidates at IIT
The seminar-workshop series on research methodology, are organized by the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications started on Friday, April 5 and will end on May 24.
27 March - 29 May: lecture series presenting the IIT labs
The research laboratories of IIT present their activities, projects and goals in a series of six lectures.
- Lecture series at IIT - The IIT Seminar series gives the opportunity to postgraduate students, to new or existing members of the Institute's labs, to internal and external (invited) speakers to present their work and establish collaborations. List of upcoming and past seminars
- 30 April: The IIT director congratulates Dr S. Perantonis for being appointed new deputy director of IIT and wishes to thank the outgoing deputy director, Dr A. Kourtis, for the excellent cooperation during his tenure.
- 18 April: "Shaping computer professionals for Greece of tomorrow" - Costas Spyropoulos, IIT director, was invited to participate in a "Round Table" discussion organised in the context of the 6th South-East Europe itSMF Conference. Read more
- 11 April: Dr. Nikolaos Mavridis, founder and director of the Interactive Robots and Media Laboratory (IRML) has been accepted as visiting researcher at IIT, till the end of 2013.
- 05 April: "Our online rights and obligations" - representatives from the Software and Knowledge Engineering Laboratory (SKEL) participated in "Round Table" discussion. Read more
- 02 April: "Positive content for children - the creative use of the internet" - Dr V. Karkaletsis presented the topic of "Positive content for children - the creative use of the internet" to parents and pupils from primary schools in Karditsa. Read more
- 12 February: biomedical experts meeting. A physical meeting with the biomedical experts of the BioASQ project took place at the premises of NCSR-"Demokritos".
- PhD student Alexandros Papangelis was selected for Summer Internship at the Institute for Creative Technologies, University of Southern California, on "Evaluation of Dialogue Policies on Human Users".
- Mr. Javier Victorio Gómez González, PhD student at Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, is working at SKEL since February 2013, in the context of the RoboSKEL activity. Javier's PhD theme is "Mobile manipulation path planning and learning".
- More space for the Institute of Informatics and Telecommunications: new building infrastructure, of 2.318,9 sq.m., has been proposed for funding from the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF/ΕΣΠΑ).
To ensure proper delivery, please add email@example.com to your address book. You receive this e-mail because you have expressed interest for news and events related to IIT.
Subscribe | Unsubscribe